Forget the internet and all of this local SEO chat for a minute — let’s take this back to basics. You’ve followed your dreams and started a business (woohoo!). The month sheets are flying off the calendar in cartoon fashion, but the only thing passing by your store is time. Not good.
As you begin to polish your empty cash register — again — you realise your fatal flaw: your store is nowhere near the high street, where the, y’know, people are. Your store is instead nestled deep in some rat-infested alley. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the windows are still boarded up!
Now let’s yank this back into (virtual) reality because you probably don’t have or want the overheads of a brick-and-mortar storefront. Instead, you’ve made the wise decision to host a business website on Google. Although you’ve saved yourself a huge amount of trouble by taking the tech-savvy route, the same concepts apply.
So let’s talk about optimising your online presence for local searches, and how it can boost enquiries for your business.
What Is Local SEO And Who’s It For?
Exactly what is local search engine optimisation? It’s the thing that puts your business not just on the map, but slap bang in the spot that counts. It gets those windows sparkling so customers can see your offers on full display. It lets everybody nearby know that they’ve found exactly what they’re looking for, ushering them inside to enquire.
The process optimises your online presence to attract more customers from relevant local searches on search engines like Google. It’s great for everyone, but it’s especially beneficial for small businesses looking to gain a competitive edge in their local market.
How Can Local SEO Help My Business?
What is local SEO marketing going to do for your business? Great question. Before we explore how to improve local SEO, let’s first answer why it’s so critical for your business growth:
1. Increases Visibility in Search Results: By optimising your website and content for local keywords, you’ll rank higher in search results, making it easier for potential clients and customers to find you. SEO for wedding photographers, for example, will involve optimising their website for key terms like ‘Melbourne wedding photographer’. These need to be gracefully planted across your website so Google knows what you’re all about.
2. Brings Qualified Leads: By targeting a local audience, you’ll generate more qualified leads who are genuinely interested in what you offer. Why? Because your solution and their problem are both in the same vicinity. Local SEO helps join the two, like the spaghetti in Lady and the Tramp.
3. Cost-Effective: Paid advertising can soon spiral out of control if not carefully allocated, and you may feel like you haven’t got your money’s worth. On the flip side, local SEO can be a far more cost-effective way to connect with your target audience for the long haul — without breaking the bank. Next round’s on you, cheers!
Local SEO Tips For Small Businesses
What affects local SEO? How do you get it working its magic on your business? Here are a few simple local SEO examples that work in tandem to get those enquiries rolling in:
- Optimise Your Google My Business Listing: This free tool lets you manage your online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. Google loves it when your information is both accurate and complete, so keep it updated with any relevant changes to your business.
- Create Localised Content: Write blog posts, create videos, and share social media updates about what’s happening with your business and perhaps the local industry. Great content helps build authority in your area and begin to foster local interest. The more you live and breathe your community and service to a high standard through Google, the more likely they’ll be to keep pointing people your way. It only makes sense, after all, right?
- Earn Reviews: Encourage happy clients to leave reviews on your Google My Business listing and other review platforms. Pressure the unhappy ones to change their minds (just kidding – wow their socks off instead). As you build your online reputation, the search results will sing your praises.
- Optimise for Local Keywords: Include location-specific keywords in your website’s title tags, meta descriptions, and content. This uniformed approach will help search engines understand where your business is located and the clients you seek to serve.
- Build Local Backlinks: Reach out to local businesses, bloggers, and industry influencers to collaborate and earn backlinks. These web links bridge their website organically to yours. This will gradually root your business firmly in your industry’s online space, a bit like that wise-looking oak tree you used to swing from as a kid (it’s probably still going strong, which is the same as what we want for your online business!) Ultimately, backlinks improve your website’s authority and boost its rankings in search results. Bueno.
Storytime: Local SEO In Action With John From Lovelytown
Let’s illustrate an example with some local SEO tips for photographers.
Meet John, a wedding photographer in Lovelytown. This is the heartwarming tale of how John utilised local SEO to establish a successful wedding photography business.
Chapter 1: Armed with Google’s Keyword Planner, John uncovers local gems like “Lovelytown wedding photographer” and “wedding photography in Lovelytown.”
Chapter 2: John spruces up his website, weaving local keywords into title tags, alt text, meta descriptions, and content, making it irresistible for both search engines and lovebirds.
Chapter 3: He submits his site to local directories, ensuring NAP (Name, Address, Phone) consistency, making it easy for couples to find him.
Chapter 4: Partnering with Lovelytown venues and vendors, John collaborates on content and earns valuable local backlinks.
Chapter 5: John shares engaging blog posts and social media updates on local wedding trends, becoming Lovelytown’s photography authority.
Chapter 6: By regularly updating his Google My Business listing and collecting shining reviews, John’s reputation and search ranking skyrocket.
Chapter 7: Following these local SEO steps, John becomes Lovelytown’s most sought-after wedding photographer, capturing precious memories while boosting his enquiries.
The End: Oh my, what a touching story. What’s the moral, you ask? Be like John!
Power Up Your Local SEO With Pepperstorm
If you’re a small business owner who wants more people to make enquiries, then local SEO is the ace up your sleeve. A few key implementations can not only increase your visibility but also free up your time to focus on what you do best: running your business and serving your clients.
So whether you want to snap more weddings, bake more cakes, or anything in between, local SEO is your ticket to success in the digital landscape!
Ready to join forces with an agency that can help you outshine your competition? Let us know where you’re at, and we’ll pave your path to the upper echelons of Google. Hoorah!